Cascadia Wildlands is working with allies at the Center for Biological Diversity, Portland Audubon Society and Crag Law Center to halt the ongoing "take" of the Endangered Species Act-listed marbled murrelet on three of Oregon's state forests. In Cascadia Wildlands et al v. Kitzhaber et al, plaintiffs argue that the older rainforest clearcutting in occupied marbled murrelet habitat on the Elliott, Tillamook and Clatsop State Forests is contributing to "take" of the species which is strictly prohibited by law.
It is important to understand that this lawsuit may be the single most important lawsuit that Cascadia Wildlands has ever filed. In essence, we have labored nearly a decade to forward sound management for this elusive little marine bird and the state of Oregon's response has been to accelerate timber harvesting in occupied habitats and disregard what science — often done by their own scientists or contractors — says about the needs of the birds and management regimes. We could no longer stand by and watch this tragedy unfold. We took a big step in launching this case and we hope our friends and bird lovers everywhere do what they can to support us in these important efforts. This imperiled seabird needs our help and we need your help to get the job done.
- Small Seabird Stops Logging, Again November 29, 2012
- Murrelet Story on KLCC (NPR) November 27, 2012
- Judge blocks timber sales over sea bird nesting November 27, 2012
- Court Halts Clearcutting in Murrelet Habitat on Oregon State Forests November 27, 2012
- Lawsuit Blocks Elliott Logging November 18, 2012
- Lawsuit Chops Down Logging Plans on the Elliott November 16, 2012
- Press Release: Oregon Suspends Clearcutting in the Elliott State Forest November 14, 2012
- Blog: Marbled Murrelets—The Sounds of Silence October 15, 2012
- Lawsuit Intervenor Opposed: Conservation Groups are Against Oregon Counties Joining Defendants’ Side in a Challenge to Logging Rules August 24, 2012
- Bob Ferris on the Radio in Coos Bay--of Timber, Coal, LNG, and Jobs August 13, 2012
- The Flying Potato is Famous: Marbled Murrelet Media Madness July 6, 2012
- Press Release: State of Oregon Suspends 10 State Forest Timber Sales in Marbled Murrelet Habitat July 2, 2012
- Cascadia Sues to Protect Seabird June 12, 2012